New Beginnings

New Beginnings

Friday, July 18, 2014

Day 4 of 21....beaches to consider

Good morning Lord,

Going into the second week of consistent running, and it feels great.  Someone said a few weeks ago, and I wish I could remember where, that we ought to be "healthy" not for a number (for that will change all the time), not for a size (because these change based on the brand of clothing), not for an event (that's a one time thing), nor for a swim suit for vacation (as it just never happens in time).  Rather, choosing healthy options to simply bring Him glory, to be available for whatever He calls us to, or just being alive fully in our bodies.  So, with that, I put on my running shoes and have been waking up (and returning to bed when I get home) at 4:45, having Andres drop me off at the McDonald's down the street, and running back with my 16 year-old daughter.  

It feels amazing!  The wind, the sounds, the rhythm of our feet pounding the pavement as we press on.  Pressing on with a different goal in mind.........life!!  Not the goal of numbers, sizes, for what the world wants to see, but to simply breathe deeper and ponder the things of Him while we run.  I must put a statement at this point.  We are not even running for the perfect time, nor for the admirable distance.  We just run, and run, and run.  We keep personal stats, never to be compared and not even "shared" on Facebook.  We just check our own.

Day 3 of Finding Spiritual Whitespace mentioned something that has me in a blanket of awe.  It's simple in thought, but complex in creation.  Here is an exert:

"With every turning wave, God slowly pushes grains of sand onto the shore. For countless number of moonlit turns, God took the time to sweep soft land, so that you and I can walk barefoot. . ."




It is beyond my comprehension to think He would purposefully softened the land that slides up to the edges of the water, so that we could feel the soothing sand particles on our feet, or run into the ocean waters with the free spirit of a child, maybe even find this place as a solid time out from the world.  To think of all the ways we enjoy the ocean waters and soft sand, and how disappointing it is when we drive along a shoreline that does not offer a friendly place to walk into the cold tides, has never crossed my mind.  I simply saw it as a day of creation, when our Lord split the dry land and water.  

Thank you Lord for providing a place to rest, find seashells, listen to the evening tides, run with our children, build castles only to be dreamed of in fairy tales, read a good book, laugh with our spouse, or even bury our spouse, and to simply experience a reprieve from the every day workings of life.  Your purposes for creation, were not to simply provide food and shelter, but REST!  I do thank you for the food of the sea, and the protection of shaded trees on land, but I am learning to love, accept, and receive REST.  Rest, even when I am going.  

No comments:

Post a Comment